Sunday, February 14, 2010

Google Alerts

As seen in the Jim Morrison and Charlie Crist anecdote, the reporter would have never gotten the story if his Google Alert didn't notify him that Crist was involved in this.

For me, as a reporter/editor and college student, I have set my Google alerts for my name and the college paper I work for, so that I may see whenever our publication is mentioned on other sites or my articles are used. Although my portfolio is small, a recent sexToon (satirical toon for our entertainment section) caused some controversy. Googled alerted me that The Gainesville Sun's The Chalkboard, Gatorsports.com, the Poynter Institute, and several bloggers had been running feedback for the cartoon. Although it was controversial, it's cool to see how far news travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment