Sunday, April 4, 2010

Wordled Speeches



I really think Wordle is a useful tool for finding the crucial points of a story. Wordle simply generates a "word cloud" from submitted text and highlights the most used words. After using Wordle on a story about public records revealing student government criminal charges at my college, it was clear to see the repeat offenses and offenders. It's a great tool to hone in on key words for headlines, too, because sometimes stories lack focus and you think the story is about one thing, but it really turns into something else.

I also used Wordle to examine my blog, and I'm happy to see that journalism, media, citizens, people and story jump out. The only thing I don't like about the word generator is that it doesn't recognize phrases-- for example "citizen journalism" gets broken up into CITIZEN and JOURNALISM.

No comments:

Post a Comment